Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Death by Parenting a Child in Puberty

Okay, seriously? What in the world am I supposed to do with a hormonal girl for the next 8+ years?! Every single moment could be the one where I ruin her life forever because I say something that is taken wrong, or I make a mistake and she is scarred for the rest of her life, resulting in a lifetime of therapy. Seriously, just about every day has a bout of tears for one reason or another. Yesterday, it was because we used the word "ajar" and she didn't know what it meant, so she felt stupid. Is that going to be the moment she remembers? Where her mom and step dad talked over her head, thus not including her in the conversation and dismissing her very being? AHHH!

While many would say homeschooling would make this time in life harder, I find it makes it easier. I get to see her more often and thus, I can see the good and the bad. Plus, I don't have to deal with the playground politics that come from being in public school. We just started packing today and this made me come across my diaries from 3rd grade on. Wow... just wow. First, why the heck was I so obsessed with having a boyfriend? Second, I don't remember being depressed all the time. I do remember I would write when I was depressed, so that would answer why it seems that I was always depressed, but man... it took me years to get a healthy outlook on life. I can't wait that long for DD!! I will totally lose it by then!

I'm just not really good with people whining for extended periods of time. Either fix it or shut it. It is one thing if something bad happened and you need to vent or whatever, but quite another if your usual demeanor is "I'm a victim, guess what happened this time?" Puberty tends to victimize those going through it, so it is a large test for me to be patient through it.

Ya Allah, I need to step in someone else's shoes about now... someone more patient than I!

1 comment: